The Protestant Old Testament contains thirty-nine books, which are divided into five sections: Law, History, Wisdom — sometimes known as Poetry, Major Prophets and Minor Prophets.
What are the 5 parts of the Bible?
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, 1&2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther.
What are the categories of the Bible?
Genres in the Bible
- The Law: the last half of Exodus; also Leviticus, Deuteronomy.
- Wisdom literature: Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes.
- Psalms: Psalms, Song of Solomon, Lamentations.
- Prophecy: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi.
How is the Bible divided into sections?
The New Testament was divided into topical sections known as kephalaia by the fourth century. Eusebius of Caesarea divided the gospels into parts that he listed in tables or canons. Neither of these systems corresponds with modern chapter divisions.
What are the 10 sections of the Bible?
The major divisions of the old and new testament
- Law books / Torah / pentateuch.
- Historical books.
- Poetic books.
- Prophetic books.
- The Gospels / Biographical books.
- Epistles / letters.
What are the 8 sections of the Bible?
Terms in this set (8)
- Section #1 The Law. Genesis-Deuteronomy.
- Section #2 – History. Joshua-Esther.
- Section #3 – Poetry. Job-Song of Solomon.
- Section#4 – Prophecy. Isaiah-Malachi.
- Section#5 – Gospels. Matthew – John.
- Section#6 – History. Acts.
- Section #7 – Epistles. Romans-Jude.
- Section #8 – Prophecy. Revelation.
What are the four sections of the Bible?
The Old Testament contains four main sections: the Pentateuch, the Former Prophets (or Historical Books), the Writings, and the Latter Prophets. This study guide covers books from the first three sections.
What are the first 5 books of the Bible called?
If you’ve never heard of the Five Books of Moses (not actually composed by Moses; people who believe in divine revelation see him as more secretary than author), you’ve heard of the Torah and the Pentateuch, the Hebrew and Greek names, respectively, for the first five books of the Hebrew Bible: Genesis, Exodus, …